• Resize Text
    • A
    • A
    • A

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

 

How often can I reorder my cpap supplies?

Each insurance company sets their own replenishment rules for cpap supplies but most of them follow a similar schedule for reordering. If you would like us to email you a copy of the replenishment guide please email resupply@baysidehomemedical.com. 


Why am I getting billed for my cpap machine or rental? I thought my insurance covered that.

Your insurance may cover the your machine or supplies but you will have to pay your health plans deductible first. The deductible is the amount you pay for covered health care services before your insurance plan starts to pay. With a $2,000 deductible, for example, you pay the first $2,000 of covered services yourself.

After you pay your deductible, you usually pay only a co-payment or coinsurance for covered services. Your insurance company pays the rest. For example your plan may have an 80/20 policy where your insurance company will pay 80% of the cost and you will pay the other 20%. 


Is it true I can get a new cpap machine every 5 years?

Most insurances will pay for a new cpap machine if the device is older than 5 years AND that there is something wrong with the device. Its not an automatic process where at 5 years you would automatically get a new machine. 


Is the SoClean covered by my insurance?

SoCleans are not covered under insurance.